Contracts for Self-builders
ContractStore and partners bring you a range of contract templates for home owner and self build projects.
Why Use These Contracts?
Some 20,000 home owners build a home in the UK each year, but until now there have been no forms of contract available for the selfbuild owner (except the JCT Home Owner forms which we are pleased to offer for sale here).
Construction projects can be complex affairs, with a variety of different trades working on the site, and a variety of risks. Contracts are needed in this situation – not because they solve all the problems but because they provide a framework for dealings between the participants and they help to identify how risks are allocated and what to do if things go wrong.
The Self Build Pack
The Self Build Pack was developed with Self-Build Zone, a company specialising in insurance for home builders.
The low cost (£49) Self Build Pack contains 4 contracts in easy to use MS Word format, representing a big discount on the full price:
- Appointment of Professional Consultant (architect etc.) document no. B151
- Building Contract - suitable for a contractor building a new house or major extension B152
- Trade Contract for smaller projects than a new house B153
- Supply and Installation Contract B154
- Useful Guidance Notes Z165
JCT Homeowner Contracts
The JCT (Joint Contracts Tribunal) is the leading supplier of standard contracts for the UK construction industry and their contracts are published by Thomson Reuter/Sweet & Maxwell.
JCT Homeowner Contracts are editable PDF documents to protect you when having renovations done or developing a property. There are two:
- JCT1 for appointing a builder when the home owner has not appointed a consultant to manage the project
- JCT2 where a consultant has been appointed
ContractStore also provides a range of related legal templates for property ownership, building and development projects.
If you are a builder or want other forms of construction-related contract you can find them at http://www.contractstore.com/construction-and-engineering